[Idle-dev] IDLE on Jython?

Beni Cherniavsky cben at users.sf.net
Thu Aug 12 21:39:02 CEST 2004

Now that IDLE works with a subprocess, it should be relatively easy to
get IDLE working with Jython which sorely lacks an IDE.  The GUI would
run on CPython, while the backend process would be on Jython.  I had
barely thought of this and a Google search showed__ me Guido's Time
Machine in action <wink>:

> I happen to be working on a version of IDLE that forks off a
> subprocess to execute the code.  This idea is inspired by previous
> work of course (Bruce Sherwood c.s.) but this time I'm trying to do it
> "right".
>
> It's not yet ready for prime time, but I believe it would be easy
> enough to add Jython support: the UI would be using CPython, but the
> user's code would run in Jython.

__ http://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2000-December/000251.html

Has anyone tried it?  Google didn't show any such work.  I'm going to
try it so I'd be happy to use any prior art...

Jython is frequently embedded in other apps, so it would be useful to
allow reversion of the process launch roles: the Jython half should be
able to listen on a port and launch a CPython running the GUI.  The same
thing could be useful for embedded CPython (think of a game embedding
Python; all it would have to do to open a nice IDE is call a single
function in idlelib).