[Idle-dev] Python 2.3 IDLE is randomly freezing.

Markus Ingvarsson markus.ingvarsson at lugn.nu
Wed May 19 13:26:51 EDT 2004

> > Changed debugging to True in RPCClient and RPCHandler, a lot of output
> > is produced but nothing special when it hangs though.
>
> No sense dealing with that if you can reproduce the problem w/o using the
> subprocess.

Yes, I realized that just after I had sent the mail, what was I thinking?  :-)

> Sounds like a Tk problem in the Sid environment.  Try setting up a Tk text widget
> without using IDLE and see if you can reproduce the problem.

I created a window with just a textbox in it and pressed a key for quite some time, erased and typing randomly, it didn't hang.
IDLE usually hangs after a few seconds if I do this.

I say _usually_ because I've been trying different ways to provoke the bug.

If I open a new window (no syntax highlighting), I can type for all I care without it hanging.
But in PyShell or when editing a file (syntax highlighting), it hangs sooner or later - especially when
holding a key pressed for a while.

--
Markus Ingvarsson