[Idle-dev] idle -h etc
alin.moldoveanu at rdslink.ro
Fri Jun 10 14:41:35 CEST 2005
What more debugging facilities would I like in Idle:
1) object browser (to be able to see the fields of an object, in a tree-like structure)
2) Better GUI:
- use keys (e.g. F8, F7, F9) to step into, step over, go - these could be configurable
- execution line should be automatically updated in the editor, while debugging
- be able to interrupt the execution; the debugger will automatically stop on the next line of code
- distinguish between "standard" globals (like __builtins__, __doc__, etc.) and the "actual" locals; have a check box whether to display the first category, like the "globals" checkbox. I ask this because most of the time I don't need to know these variables and it's counter-productive to keep my screen and attention busy with them.
3) Eventually a place to define and view watches. In a case of a big program, there might be a lot of globals, and I'm interested in watching just a few of them.
All these features are what is normally found in most integrated debuggers, so they should be here, also. And I don't think they are actually difficult to implement ;)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the IDLE-dev