[Idle-dev] Python Core Dump

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Nov 23 13:49:09 CET 2005

Kurt B. Kaiser wrote:

>Fuzzyman <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> writes:
>

>>[snip..]
>>C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>python
>>C:\Python24\Lib\idlelib\idle.pyw
>>fullname operator
>>tgt operator
>>filename operator
>>descr ('', '', 6)
>>Got here <module 'operator' (built-in)>
>>Got here too.
>>Exception in Tkinter callback
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "C:\Python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1345, in __call__
>>    return self.func(*args)
>>  File "C:\Python24\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 456, in callit
>>    func(*args)
>>  File "C:\Python24\lib\idlelib\PyShell.py", line 493, in poll_subprocess
>>    response = clt.pollresponse(self.active_seq, wait=0.05)
>>  File "C:\Python24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 421, in pollresponse
>>    message = self.pollmessage(wait)
>>  File "C:\Python24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 373, in pollmessage
>>    packet = self.pollpacket(wait)
>>  File "C:\Python24\lib\idlelib\rpc.py", line 344, in pollpacket
>>    r, w, x = select.select([self.sock.fileno()], [], [], wait)
>>error: (10093, 'Either the application has not called WSAStartup, or
>>WSAStartup
>>failed')
>>

>The rpc.py module is part of IDLE, but that's an error I haven't seen
>before.  No new sockets are created while the subprocess is running.
>Is there any indication that the subprocess died? (Check your process
>manager, does the number of Python processes change after the crash?)

I'll have to check all this tonight.

I did wonder if the traceback is because the crash happens in the
subprocess - meaning that the communication channel breaks - causing the
traceback. That is pure conjecture though. :-)

>Is this Exception reproducible? How long after the crash does it
>appear?  Are there any other symptoms to the crash?

Happens every time.

The traceback occurs almost instantaneously on the crash (a memory
location could not be read error).

>I gather you never see 'WSAStartup failed' except in this case.

Never seen it before.

>Is "Got here too." always printed?

Yup

>Does the ImportError always appear?

I never actually see the ``ImportError``, it's obviously being trapped
and the exception occurs somewhere else. So I need to track down where
the crash happens - presumably in ``EditorWindow.open_module``.

I'll report back.

All the best,

Fuzzyman