[Idle-dev] Interruptable code?

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Sat Dec 16 05:32:51 CET 2006

I notice that in IDLE when running with -n (no processes) that:

>>> while 1: 1

can be stopped with control+c, but:

>>> while 1: None

cannot. I realize that this is true because the second example doesn't
cause anything to be written in the IDLE window, and the first does.

I see that running without the additional subprocess might make this a
hard bug to fix. But, is there something I can call like so:

>>> while 1: func()

def func():
   # a call to check for control+c or update IDLE
   return None

Some additional data:

- I can't use idle with sub processes (because I want to interact with
Tkinter in a single thread)

- I tried printing nothing to the window:

>>> while 1: print '',

(note comma) but that actually does print something to the window. Can I
make these processes interruptable without printing something to the
window? I'm willing to alter IDLE if necessary.

Thanks for any hints,

Douglas S. Blank
Associate Professor, Bryn Mawr College
Office: 610 526 601