[Idle-dev] firewall warning

Gregor Lingl glingl at aon.at
Thu Jul 13 00:15:41 CEST 2006

The firewall warning message in the Pythonshell window
was introduced  in Python 2.3 (IDLE 1.0 or something similar?)

I remember well the problems, which have been occurred then, and
to which it was the answer. (If I remember correctly I was
involved in the discussion thread which led to the introduction
of that message.)

Since more than three years I've used IDLE on many different
systems and I didn't encounter a single Firewall warning since
then. (It seems that firewalls nowadays are not offended by
the use of 127.0.0.1)

Therefore, and because the message is long and ugly, I'd like to
suggest to delete it from the Python Shell window
and - if considered necessary - for instance to put
it into the IDLE Help - "About IDLE" submenu or
in a special IDLE-Firewall warning submenu of IDLE-Help.

Please observe that it pops up thousands of times and it's
read at most once.

Additional remark (about my personal interest):
I have to do a lot of IDLE-screenshots for a textbook
on programming and I really don't like it to occur on
all those screenshots.

Regards,
Gregor