[Idle-dev] firewall warning

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 00:26:51 CEST 2006

Moving the firewall warning to an entry in the "Help" menu sounds good to
It would definitely make IDLE's interpreter cleaner, which could help
improve IDLE's image.

BTW Gregor, meanwhile you can just remove the warning yourself in
PyShell.py- just set firewallmessage to en empty string.

- Tal

On 7/13/06, Gregor Lingl <glingl at aon.at> wrote:
> The firewall warning message in the Pythonshell window
> was introduced  in Python 2.3 (IDLE 1.0 or something similar?)
> I remember well the problems, which have been occurred then, and
> to which it was the answer. (If I remember correctly I was
> involved in the discussion thread which led to the introduction
> of that message.)
> Since more than three years I've used IDLE on many different
> systems and I didn't encounter a single Firewall warning since
> then. (It seems that firewalls nowadays are not offended by
> the use of
> Therefore, and because the message is long and ugly, I'd like to
> suggest to delete it from the Python Shell window
> and - if considered necessary - for instance to put
> it into the IDLE Help - "About IDLE" submenu or
> in a special IDLE-Firewall warning submenu of IDLE-Help.
> Please observe that it pops up thousands of times and it's
> read at most once.
> Additional remark (about my personal interest):
> I have to do a lot of IDLE-screenshots for a textbook
> on programming and I really don't like it to occur on
> all those screenshots.
> Regards,
> Gregor

How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?