[Idle-dev] Request for review: IDLE L&F on OSX

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jun 5 21:00:14 CEST 2006

On 5-jun-2006, at 19:16, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 6/5/06, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>> I'd really it if someone could have a look at patch 1491759
>> (www.python.org/sf/1491759). This patch improves the L&F of IDLE on
>> MacOS X.  I'd like to have this in before 2.5b1 ;-)
> I gave it a quick try. It still needs work I think (unless for some
> strange reason it was executing the old version?)
> - very strange: when I start it from Terminal, it keeps coming up in
> the background (maybe beacuse the X server is already running?)

That's expected behaviour due to the way OSX works. There's a
Makefile for building an application bundle (IDLE.app) in Mac/OSX/
IDLE. The easiest way to get the application bundle is to install a
framework build, that will install IDLE.app in /Application/MacPython

I've tried to ensure that my changes do nothing when IDLE wasn't
started from that application bundle, so you shouldn't have seen
anything new ;-). I should have mentioned that in the patch
description. Sorry about the confusion.

> - it comes up with the Windows bindings as defaults (and yes, I threw
> away ~/.idlerc)

That's one of the open issues for this patch. I've no idea to
override the default keybindings for just one platform.

> - when I change the bindings, they are messed up until I restart
> (option-command-N instead of command-N etc)
> - even then, option-2 doesn't zoom the window height as promised by
> the Windows menu; it inserts a TM sign

I'll see if I can find what's causing this. I hope it isn't generic
AquaTk suckage.
> - other option-shortcuts similar
> - when I invoke zoom height from the Widnows menu, the title bar hides
> behind the menu bar

That one seems to be easy to fix.

> - "About" says "About Tcl * Tk..."

That's probably related to being started outside of an application
> - The run menu promises that F5 will run the module, but not so --
> it's volume up :-)
> This was on a ~6mo old PowerBook running OS X 10.4.6.

Unless you've changed your keyboard settings in System Preferences
that's expected behaviour. With the default settings you have to use
fn+F5 to actually cause an F5 keyboard event (that is the function
keys are the alternate choice, chaning hardware settings is the
default binding for those keys).

Thanks for looking at this,