[Idle-dev] Request for review: IDLE L&F on OSX

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jun 5 21:00:14 CEST 2006

On 5-jun-2006, at 19:16, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 6/5/06, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>> I'd really it if someone could have a look at patch 1491759
>> (www.python.org/sf/1491759). This patch improves the L&F of IDLE on
>> MacOS X.  I'd like to have this in before 2.5b1 ;-)
>
> I gave it a quick try. It still needs work I think (unless for some
> strange reason it was executing the old version?)
>
> - very strange: when I start it from Terminal, it keeps coming up in
> the background (maybe beacuse the X server is already running?)

That's expected behaviour due to the way OSX works. There's a
Makefile for building an application bundle (IDLE.app) in Mac/OSX/
IDLE. The easiest way to get the application bundle is to install a
framework build, that will install IDLE.app in /Application/MacPython
2.5.

I've tried to ensure that my changes do nothing when IDLE wasn't
started from that application bundle, so you shouldn't have seen
anything new ;-). I should have mentioned that in the patch
description. Sorry about the confusion.

> - it comes up with the Windows bindings as defaults (and yes, I threw
> away ~/.idlerc)

That's one of the open issues for this patch. I've no idea to
override the default keybindings for just one platform.

> - when I change the bindings, they are messed up until I restart
> (option-command-N instead of command-N etc)
>
> - even then, option-2 doesn't zoom the window height as promised by
> the Windows menu; it inserts a TM sign

I'll see if I can find what's causing this. I hope it isn't generic
AquaTk suckage.

> - other option-shortcuts similar
>
> - when I invoke zoom height from the Widnows menu, the title bar hides
> behind the menu bar

That one seems to be easy to fix.

> - "About" says "About Tcl * Tk..."

That's probably related to being started outside of an application
bundle.

> - The run menu promises that F5 will run the module, but not so --
> it's volume up :-)
>
> This was on a ~6mo old PowerBook running OS X 10.4.6.

Unless you've changed your keyboard settings in System Preferences
that's expected behaviour. With the default settings you have to use
fn+F5 to actually cause an F5 keyboard event (that is the function
keys are the alternate choice, chaning hardware settings is the
default binding for those keys).

Thanks for looking at this,

	Ronald