[Idle-dev] Adapting IDLE for different file types

Keith R. Fieldhouse idle at rexmere.com
Sun Mar 25 15:52:11 CEST 2007

Hello,

I work on a project that uses Python as the basis for a very domain
specific development environment.

For documentation and training purposes I'd like to use IDLE as the
initial development tool.  In other words, my "getting started"
documentation and class exercises for example, would be produced in
terms of IDLE.

Thus far, this works quite well, IDLE strikes the right balance between
simplicity, accessibility and capability.

One issue is that our development environment has a number of domain
specific text files used in the process of developing applications.
Naturally, IDLE is able to edit these files with no problem.  I would,
however, now like to add syntax colorization and possibly indentation
support for these text files.

Has any one done this?  Any thoughts on the proper approach or other
hints would be greatly appreciated.   If there is some reason that this
would be a Bad Idea, let me know that as well...

Best regards,

Keith Fieldhouse