[Idle-dev] Default open file in IDLE

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:47:24 CEST 2007

On 5/23/07, Tim Smith <cheeseandquackers2 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I've recently started learning Python, and I am using IDLE for the most
> part.
> What I would like to ask is, is there any way in which I can change the
> default open file location?
> I'm running the version of IDLE that came with mandriva 2007, if that's
> any help.
> Thank you in advance for any help,
> Tim

Nothing user friendly like a config option. You can edit IOBinding.py, and
change the defaultfilename() method as you like.

Currently, the Open/Save dialogs uses the directory of the currently open
file, or the directory that IDLE was run otherwise. Along with the Recent
Files menu (under File), this is fine for me.

As a development note, we could use a reasonable platform-specific default
directory, e.g. My Documents under Windows, ~/ under Linux/Unix, with a
failsafe which would use the the current behavior if that directory doesn't
exist. We could also make these user configurable.

Comments?

- Tal