[Idle-dev] Dealing with a few feature requests

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Fri May 25 16:19:40 CEST 2007

On Fri, May 25, 2007 10:04 am, Tal Einat said:
> On 5/25/07, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/24/07, Douglas S. Blank <dblank at brynmawr.edu> wrote:
>> >

>> > Some other suggestions:
>> >
>> > 1) Make the default color syntax formatter default to python before
>> > saving
>> > an unnamed buffer. Most people use IDLE for editing Python files, so
>> > that
>> > seems reasonable. Of course, saving the file in another format would
>> > still
>> > change the formatter.
>>

>> Sounds reasonable to me as well. I believe this has already been asked
>> for
>> in the past, I'll have to look it up.
>>

> This is already implemented in IDLE, and was committed to the SVN in
> revision 38991 back in 2005. Surely IDLE 1.2 (the version shipped with
> Python2.5) does this. Which version of IDLE are you using?

Thanks for the info. Because not all of the Python libraries we depend on
have been brought up-to-date on Windows, we had been stuck with Python
2.4. I tried to pull out the latest idlelib from Python2.5 and put it in
2.4, but it utilizes Python2.5 functionality. I didn't spend a lot of time
on that, but it would be great if idle was a little more backwards
compatible. I wonder how hard it would be to make it 2.4/2.5 agnostic?

-Doug

--
Douglas S. Blank
Associate Professor, Bryn Mawr College