[Idle-dev] Dealing with a few feature requests

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri May 25 16:45:52 CEST 2007

On 5/25/07, Douglas S. Blank <dblank at brynmawr.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2007 10:04 am, Tal Einat said:

> >> Sounds reasonable to me as well. I believe this has already been asked
> >> for
> >> in the past, I'll have to look it up.
> >>

> > This is already implemented in IDLE, and was committed to the SVN in
> > revision 38991 back in 2005. Surely IDLE 1.2 (the version shipped with
> > Python2.5) does this. Which version of IDLE are you using?
>
> Thanks for the info. Because not all of the Python libraries we depend on
> have been brought up-to-date on Windows, we had been stuck with Python
> 2.4. I tried to pull out the latest idlelib from Python2.5 and put it in
> 2.4, but it utilizes Python2.5 functionality. I didn't spend a lot of time
> on that, but it would be great if idle was a little more backwards
> compatible. I wonder how hard it would be to make it 2.4/2.5 agnostic?

Not hard at all. I actually have a working version of IDLE which is
backwards compatible all the way back to Python2.2. But this my development
version, with all sorts of new features. It is stable though, I use it
daily, and it is in use by about ten of my friends. I'd gladly send you a
copy.

IDLE isn't currently be kept backwards compatible because it is developed as
an integral part of CPython. There are a few stdlib modules which are kept
backward compatible (email and compiler IIRC), but IDLE is not,
unfortunately.

The changes required are small, and a few #ifdefs (or equivalent) in the
code could make backwards compatibility simple. It would be hard to convince
the guys who build CPython to adopt this, though.

- Tal