[Idle-dev] Dealing with a few feature requests

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat May 26 17:39:23 CEST 2007

On 26 May, 2007, at 14:13, Tal Einat wrote:

> * Tabbed pages - As usual, everyone wants this, but (almost) nobody
> wants to do it. I can't imagine this happening any time soon unless:
> 1) Someone volunteers to do this, or at least help out. Douglas,
> you said you'd be willing to help - to what extent?
> 2) Some money is donated to the cause, in which case I'd be willing
> to do this. It's too big a project for me to take up just for fun
> these days.
> 3) This becomes a Google SoC (Summer of Code) project, or part of one.
>
> I would really like to have Tabbed Pages in IDLE, and I know I'm
> not alone! Please help this become a reality.

One (rather roundabout) way to move towards this would be to port
tkinter and IDLE to Tile (http://tktable.sourceforge.net/tile), which
as an additional bonus would give IDLE a L&F that better integrates
with the native L&F.

This would be a pretty large project though, and I'm not at all
interested in doing this :-)

Ronald