[Idle-dev] multiprocessing module and IDLE without subprocess

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 08:13:25 CET 2008

Weeble wrote:

> I'm certainly interested enough to give it a go, but I don't know a
> whole lot about Python development. I have managed (I think) to sync
> up and build a copy of trunk using Visual C++ Express 2008. I'm not
> really sure about how to make patches, but I'm not going to worry
> about that until I have actually made any useful changes.

Well, the nice thing about IDLE is that it is implemented in pure Python.
This means you don't have to compile at all to make changes; just edit
IDLE's code and run it.

IDLE's code is found under the Lib/idlelib directory where your Python
library files are found. Under Windows this is found where you installed
Python (C:\Python26 by default for Python2.6).

When working on IDLE it is useful to run it from the command line so you can
see exception output etc. On windows, open a command prompt and run:
C:\Python26\python.exe C:\Python26\Lib\idlelib\idle.py

Good luck!
- Tal