[Idle-dev] bug or annoyance in IDLE on win32

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 13:12:15 CET 2008

Nick Buchholz <nbuchholz at noao.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:07:26 +0200
>  "Tal Einat" <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
>>It seems to me that scrolling with Mouse Button 2 would be the
>>expected behavior for most users these days. Maybe this should be the
>>default? (If we do this, we could still consider making the 'paste'
>>functionality available via a config option.)
> except that linux xterm and X11 in general uses the button2 to paste selected
> text.
> Windows seems to paste selection on top of clipboard.
>
> A better solution might be for the right/left scroll to occur when the mouse is
>
> moved to the right/left edge of the text box.  Or to define another ket to
> activate
> the scroll left/right how about <alt>scroll???

Still, the vast majority of the users are on windows, especially
novice users who are IDLE's original target user base. Since Tkinter
doesn't use native widgets we can't have them behave as expected in
every platform.

Also, pasting can be done easily enough in other ways, while scrolling
left/right is somewhat problematic.

- Tal