[Idle-dev] multiprocessing module and IDLE without subprocess

Weeble clockworksaint at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 15:37:54 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
> It should just remove the use rof the SO_REUSEADDR flag in the
> sub-process spawning code and pass zero as the argument for the port
> number, which instructs the underlying socket library to select an
> available port. See http://bugs.python.org/issue1201569 and
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/idle-dev/2008-June/002687.html for
> details.

I note that the present code spawns the subprocess first, then opens a
socket, commenting that this is to avoid passing the open socket on to
the subprocess. Does this matter? In order to tell the subprocess
which port to listen to, we'd need to open the socket first. I don't
really know a whole lot about sockets, but from what I can tell, it
sounds like preventing a subprocess from inheriting a socket is quite
platform-dependent.

> If you'd like to work up such a patch and get it reviewed and
> committed, please be my guest! I will help you in any way I can if you
> take this up. Otherwise I guess it will wait until I find the time and
> energy...

I'm certainly interested enough to give it a go, but I don't know a
whole lot about Python development. I have managed (I think) to sync
up and build a copy of trunk using Visual C++ Express 2008. I'm not
really sure about how to make patches, but I'm not going to worry
about that until I have actually made any useful changes.