[Idle-dev] Some implemented ideas that may help IDLE, request for feedback

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Aug 17 15:38:04 CEST 2009

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> [snip...]
>> Unfortunately IDLE on the Mac is not very good looking
>> (a Tk problem rather than an IDLE problem I think) which means I have less
>> motivation to use it since I left Windows as my main dev environment.
> I understand. Doesn't ttk widgets improve anything there ? I don't
> have a mac and I rarely see a mac, so I really don't know how it looks
> like there. IDLE isn't using ttk widgets, but last year I did
> something that would use them when available so it could be worth the
> effort to adapt it to the current IDLE code.

I think that in principle ttk would help, but doesn't Python ship its
*own* version of Tk *or* use the system Tk - neither of which have ttk

I'm nothing like a Tk expert, but if there are instructions on how to
try then I can give it a go. If you have the code then I can do some
research (as and when I have time).

All the best,