[Idle-dev] A simple feature to consider

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 01:35:24 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 9:46 PM, Zach Bethel wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm a python IDLE user, and I've got a simple feature request.  I don't know
> what you use to implement the text editor, but one thing it would be really
> nice to do is hold the ALT key, click and drag, and be able to select a
> rectangle of text.  If that doesn't make any sense, I attached an image
> depicting what I'm talking about.  Since Python is a tab based language, it
> only makes sense that I would be able to select code this way.  Anyway, just
> thought I would share.
>
> Thanks,
> Zach.

What would be the purpose of rectangular selections? Other than to
cut/copy/paste/delete indentation, I can't think of any use cases.

IDLE already provides utilities specifically for handling indentation,
such as increasing/decreasing the indentation of a region (several
selected lines) and tabs/spaces conversion, which are accessible via
the "format" menu.