[Idle-dev] How to run selected statements in IDLE (Windows XP)?

Tue May 12 17:57:29 CEST 2009

Wei Su wrote:
> I am a really green user of Python. And I am now using IDLE. The most
> significant inconvenience so far is that I still cannot figure out how
> to run selected statements in the interactive mode. In SAS, I can do F3,
> in R, F5 and in Matlab F9. But I tried all these keys and still cannot
> figure out how to run selected statements/commands. I am using Windows XP.

You can select and copy the statement, then move to the interactive
window (or to the bottom of the interactive window) and paste it in
there.  at the interactive prompt, you can use Alt-P to move through
previous lines until you find the one you want, edit it, move to its
end, and press return.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org