[Idle-dev] An IDLE extension for Google Summer of Code

Chas Leichner chaoslichen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 11:18:42 CEST 2010

IDLE developers,

I have been in contact with Greg Wilson of Software
Carpentry<http://www.software-carpentry.org/>,
discussing possible projects for the Google Summer of Code. He brought up
adding a record and playback function as an addition to IDLE so that
students could work through writing code dynamically, in the same manner
they would with a TA or mentor. To facilitate this, I would like to add an
extension module, changes to the core code, or an alternate education
version of IDLE that would read from a metafile with instructions to drive
the IDE for them, writing code, stopping to explain or ask questions and
wait for answers, and highlight sections of the code. As per the advice on
the Python GSOC page, I wanted to contact this list, to keep you updated and
for your feedback, before I got too far into writing my proposal.

Thanks,
Chas Leichner