[Idle-dev] An IDLE extension for Google Summer of Code

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 11:57:41 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Chas Leichner <chaoslichen at gmail.com> wrote:
> IDLE developers,
>
> I have been in contact with Greg Wilson of Software Carpentry, discussing
> possible projects for the Google Summer of Code. He brought up adding a
> record and playback function as an addition to IDLE so that students could
> work through writing code dynamically, in the same manner they would with a
> TA or mentor. To facilitate this, I would like to add an extension module,
> changes to the core code, or an alternate education version of IDLE that
> would read from a metafile with instructions to drive the IDE for them,
> writing code, stopping to explain or ask questions and wait for answers, and
> highlight sections of the code. As per the advice on the Python GSOC page, I
> wanted to contact this list, to keep you updated and for your feedback,
> before I got too far into writing my proposal.
>
> Thanks,
> Chas Leichner

Hi Chas,

This sounds like a great project! I really hope this goes well, and
would love to receive updates on it, e.g. if you start a mailing list
or blog about it.

May I ask, why not develop something more generic, which allows
various types of guided interactive learning, not just via IDLE? On
first reading it seems that what you suggest could be achieved with
something like Sikuli, without requiring any changes to IDLE.

- Tal