[Idle-dev] An IDLE extension for Google Summer of Code

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Wed Apr 7 21:24:45 CEST 2010

> > To facilitate this, I would like to add an extension module,
> > changes to the core code, or an alternate education version of IDLE that
> > would read from a metafile with instructions to drive the IDE for them,
> > writing code, stopping to explain or ask questions and wait for answers,
> > and highlight sections of the code.

Don't write a whole new domain-specific language for this. Use and extend
doctest.

http://docs.python.org/library/doctest.html#module-doctest

I wrote a tool, called "demotest" for presenting Python lessons with
embedded Python code.

http://trizpug.org/Members/dhandy/newclass

Download demotest.py from the above page and run it. It prints each
executable statement suite in the module's doctests and then pauses. Just
keep hitting Enter to step through it.

Something like this could probably be adapted to run as an IDLE extension.

David H

On Wed, Apr 07, 2010 at 11:20:28AM -0700, Chas Leichner wrote:
> Tal,
>
> Although I think that Sikuli is an interesting project, it is still a
> research prototype rather than a well developed project, like IDLE.
> Programming with screenshots is a novel approach, but using a metafile would
> allow a teacher easily and directly convert existing code to a tutorial or
> lesson just by adding the appropriate tags. Using a commands to drive the
> IDE would also allow the teacher to precisely dictate actions and tweak them
> easily instead of having to re-record screenshots, like in Sikuli.
>
> In addition, adding an extension to IDLE would make it accessible to anyone
> with a basic Python install, because there is a version of IDLE easily
> available on all platforms that Python is.
>
> ~Chas
>
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Tal Einat <taleinat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Chas Leichner <chaoslichen at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > IDLE developers,
> > >
> > > I have been in contact with Greg Wilson of Software Carpentry, discussing
> > > possible projects for the Google Summer of Code. He brought up adding a
> > > record and playback function as an addition to IDLE so that students
> > could
> > > work through writing code dynamically, in the same manner they would with
> > > TA or mentor. To facilitate this, I would like to add an extension
> > module,
> > > changes to the core code, or an alternate education version of IDLE that
> > > would read from a metafile with instructions to drive the IDE for them,
> > > writing code, stopping to explain or ask questions and wait for answers,
> > and
> > > highlight sections of the code. As per the advice on the Python GSOC
> > page, I
> > > wanted to contact this list, to keep you updated and for your feedback,
> > > before I got too far into writing my proposal.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Chas Leichner
> >
> > Hi Chas,
> >
> > This sounds like a great project! I really hope this goes well, and
> > would love to receive updates on it, e.g. if you start a mailing list
> > or blog about it.
> >
> > May I ask, why not develop something more generic, which allows
> > various types of guided interactive learning, not just via IDLE? On
> > first reading it seems that what you suggest could be achieved with
> > something like Sikuli, without requiring any changes to IDLE.
> >
> > - Tal

David Handy
Computer Programming is Fun!
Beginning Computer Programming with Python
http://www.handysoftware.com/cpif/