[Idle-dev] idle py2.7 disappearing output

Michael Allan allan01123 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 19:06:40 CEST 2010

I just installed 2.7, and also tried 3.1 with the same issue - any code more
than one line will not show the output, it just instantly runs the code and
goes back to a new (blank) prompt line. I am on winxp pro sp2.

for example:

print 52

+ Enter will correctly print '52' then goto a new command prompt

however:
x=52
print 52

+ Enter will just go right to the new command prompt, printing nothing.

However if I add a iterative on the first line like this:

for p in range(1):
     x=52
     print x

I can hit Enter (twice) and it will correctly show the output etc. I have
googled all over and found a few references to python bugs (win32all updates
etc) but all for older versions. I have been using that 'for' method to do
all my assigments in the meantime.

(by the way is there a way to get to a new line (CRLF) in the shell without
actually running the code yet (hitting Enter)? (so to be able to put a new
line of code into the shell directly instead of copy/paste from notepad all
the time)

-allan