[Idle-dev] [Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Jul 12 00:10:39 CEST 2010

> In the 2009 Google Summer of Code I was the mentor for a Brazilian
> student, Guilherme Polo, who completed and extended important
> improvements to IDLE made during the previous year by David Scherer.
> Given the somewhat official nature of this work, I assumed that these
> needed improvements would make it into the standard distribution, but as
> far as I know that hasn't happened. It would seem that if even this
> "sponsored" project didn't impact the standard Python distribution,
> something is broken in the procedures, and probably what is needed is,
> as Guido says, that someone be given the authority to get improvements
> to IDLE into the standard distribution. Making a significant change to
> the update procedures is clearly needed.

I don't think so; instead, the perception of authority needs to be
adjusted (in the specific case). Guilherme could have committed these
changes, but, for whatever reason, decided not to. Nor did his direct
mentor (i.e. you) tell him to commit the changes, and neither did I.

> Even if this needed change is made, there is also merit to Tai's
> suggestion of creating a separate project, to encourage developers like
> him to work together to improve IDLE, without having as a first priority
> to worry about getting it into the standard distribution, but with the
> clear understanding that this is the place to go for improvements to
> migrate into the standard distribution.

Again, Guilherme could commit his changes any time.

Regards,
Martin