[Idle-dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Jul 12 07:50:47 CEST 2010

On 11 Jul, 2010, at 15:24, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> On 7/11/10 5:03 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>

>> The OSX issues al seem to be related to general Tk or Tkinter bugs
>> on OSX. I know to little about Tk and Tkinter to seriously work on
>> those.
>
> Ronald,
>
> How about http://bugs.python.org/issue6075? I first submitted that patch in May '09, and updated it in October '09 on request from you, and it's just sat there since...

If I read the patch correctly it replaces the existing 8.4 support by support for 8.5. That would not be acceptable because it would result in a non-functional version of IDLE for anyone that hasn't installed a custom copy of Tk.

The "checkForAppKit" function doesn't work with the system version of Tk that Python currently links to.

Does the patch work with the system version of Tk 8.4 on OSX?

Ronald