[Idle-dev] [Python-Dev] Removing IDLE from the standard library

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 18:14:26 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:44 AM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> Steve, you encouraged me to try it again.  From an xterm on OS X 10.5.8,
> it launches fine (long as you know where it is --
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/idle).
> Seems to work OK for what it is, too.  Same for Terminal.  When I start
> it from the *shell* buffer in Cocoa GNU Emacs, though, the idle window
> pops up under the Emacs window, which is why I didn't see it over the
> weekend.

FWIW, "./python -m idlelib,idle" launched the shell window for me on
two development installs. "python -m idlelib.idle" didn't work
intially on the system Python (since Kubuntu leaves idle out by
default), but it worked fine once I installed the idle package.

(Oh, and I can confirm it still looks like a Tcl/Tk app on Kubuntu
rather than a KDE app even with Tk 8.5)

Cheers,
Nick.