[Idle-dev] Rework when IDLE opens editor and/or shell windows

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 21:22:24 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Weeble wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
>>> Thoughts? Comments? If there is agreement I will work up a patch.
>>
>> Personally, I would slightly prefer that the default behaviour on
>> starting IDLE via the shortcut in the start menu is to open a blank
>> document and no shell window. I think of IDLE first and foremost as an
>> editor, and I prefer it to behave like other editors that start up
>> with a blank document. But this may be better dealt with by tweaking
>> the shortcuts/launchers created by the installer.
>
> I agree completely with Weeble but can continue to live with starting
> as an editor being a configuration parameter (VIDLE in fact ships with
> this set to "start in editor").
>
> Note that if you're starting from a command line, you already have a
> (primitive) shell available: just start Python instead of IDLE.
>
> Bruce Sherwood

Ok, it seems several people want to keep the config option to have
IDLE open with an empty editor window instead of a shell window by
default. How about we make it so that this config option only affects
what IDLE does when run without any other arguments, such as via
IDLE.app? In any other case, I think IDLE should ignore the
"start-with-editor" config option.