[Idle-dev] IDLE Tiled

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Oct 2 19:40:24 CEST 2010

On 9/25/2010 1:47 AM, Patrick Gallot wrote:
>   Hello,
> Below are some screen shots of IDLE using different ttk themes (on
> windows XP).
>
> Attached is a version 2.7 of IDLE modified to use ttk (Tiled TK) now
> included with Python 2.7.

A mailing list is where code goes to die ;-). If you are proposing a
patch (for 3.2+), search the tracker for an open issue on the subject
IDLE + tile (I believe there is one, with an existing patch) and upload
a diff against the IDLE in the py3k branch (or that distributed with the
latest 3.2alpha) an an alternative patch. If there is no such issue,
open one.

If you are proposing an alternate version for public use, start a
project on PyPI and upload it there, and upload subsequent versions as
you improve it.

The IDLE version distributed with 2.7 will only get bug fixes, if that.
The IDLE distributed with 3.2 could be upgraded. The main issue is that
some Linux distribution have not upgraded tdl/tk from 8.4 to 8.5 (with
ttk). The question then is whether it is OK for IDLE require either 8.5
(with ttk) or separate upload of the tile extension. My opinion is yes.
But I am dubious that this will happen before 3.2 goes in beta phase
(bugfix patches only).

--
Terry Jan Reedy