[Idle-dev] How does one offer patches?

Bruce Sherwood basherwo at ncsu.edu
Sun Oct 10 23:40:35 CEST 2010

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but how does one offer patches to
IDLE? At http://vpython.org/vidle/patch.diff is a patch from the
idlelib installed with Windows Python3.1.2 to vidle, where vidle
incorporates the work done in the 2009 GSoC by Guilherme Polo, updated
for Python 3. For details, see my posts of Sept. 14.

I have several questions:

1) Is the idlelib shipped with Windows Python 3.1.2 the right base to
diff against?

2) If not, against what base should I make the diff?

3) Is one diff for all of idlelib okay, or does one submit separate
diff files for each file?

4) How/where do I formally offer this diff? I've never done this before.

I should add that just today I remade the diff at
http://vpython.org/vidle/patch.diff because I discovered that I'd
missed an important correction Guilherme had made. The error is
present in the Python 3.1.2 idlelib. In IOBinding.py one should delete
this statement:

     self.text.see("insert")

Unless this statement is deleted, when you open a long file the first
line is not seen; it's above the edit display. This can be pretty
confusing.

Bruce Sherwood