[Idle-dev] IDLE Extension - Prompt goes missing

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 14:56:11 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 3/31/2011 2:13 AM, Tal Einat wrote:
>
>  See Lib/idlelib/extend.txt for details on extensions.
>>

> Thank you. I read it but did not find it completely clear.
> If I figure out what I have missed, I will try to suggest a patch ;-).
> I need to look at examples more, first.

Note that installing a new extension (e.g. from PyPI) is a hassle, so new
extensions die quickly if they aren't integrated into IDLE.

I think extensions would be much more useful given a config dialog for
configuring each extension separately. My patch for this has been sitting
around for years: issue3068 <http://bugs.python.org/issue3068>.

Admittedly I was given the go-ahead to make such changes to IDLE directly
and commit them, but unfortunately I haven't found the time required for
this since.

- Tal