[Idle-dev] Suggestions idle-dev

Bruce Sherwood Bruce_Sherwood at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 13 16:48:42 CEST 2011

I'm associated with VIDLE and I read this list. VIDLE was created by
David Scherer and Guilherme Polo, neither of whom is now an active
developer. I worked with them but over the years have not contributed
much to this myself. I did however make a version that runs on Python
3. I'm the main developer of VPython (an easy to use 3D programming
environment, see vpython.org) and I bundle VIDLE with the Windows and
Mac installers for VPython, and offer a VIDLE package for Linux.

My own strong interest in IDLE springs from being co-author of an
intro physics curriculum (matterandinteractions.org) within which
thousands of college engineering and science students each semester
write Python programs, using the VPython module, to model physical
systems in 3D. Because few of these students have ever written a line
of code before coming to the physics course, IDLE is vitally important
as a lightweight, easy to use IDE.

Bruce