[Idle-dev] Fixing and Improving IDLE

Sean Wolfe ether.joe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:30:25 CET 2011

Nice to see this mail! I'm a big fan of IDLE though and it's nice to
see. I'm not really a IDLE developer yet but I'm boning up on tkinter
to try and help out in the future... maybe in time to help out with
this.

Did you guys catch this article? I think so cause there are a lot of
comments. Anyhow, I dig a lot of the suggestions.
http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-things-i-hate-about-idle-that-i-wish-someone-would-fix/

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Roger Serwy <roger.serwy at gmail.com> wrote:
> IDLE Developers,
>
> By my count there are over 110 valid open issues against IDLE, some minor
> and others major. Let's try to make that number smaller.
>
> Here is a partial list of issues that have working patches:
>
> 3573    IDLE hangs when passing invalid command line args (directory(ies)
> instead of file(s))
> 5219    IDLE/Tkinter: edit win stops updating when tooltip is active
> 6698    IDLE no longer opens only an edit window when configured to do so
> 6699    IDLE: Warn user about overwriting a file that has a newer version on
> filesystem
> 7136    Idle File Menu Option Improvement
> 7676    IDLE shell shouldn't use TABs
> 8515    idle "Run Module" (F5) does not set __file__ variable
> 8900    IDLE crashes if Preference set to At Startup -> Open Edit Window
> 13039   IDLE editor: shell-like behaviour on line starting with ">>>"
> 13179   IDLE uses common tkinter variables across all editor windows
> 13495   IDLE: Regression - Two ColorDelegator instances loaded
> 13506   IDLE sys.path does not contain Current Working Directory
>
> Can these patches be applied? I understand that there will be need for some
> discussion, but we should try to avoid the bike shed problem.
>
> Not surprisingly, there are a lot of "duplicate" bug reports. Some issues
> deal with invalid key bindings and should have a common solution: 4765,
> 5707, 6739, 11437, 12387, 13071. (IdleX already has a work-around for these
> issues.) Other issues deal with permission error handling of
> configHandler.py: 4625, 8231, 9404, 9925.
>
> One major patch which requires some updating and much consideration is:
> 10079   idlelib for Python 3 with Guilherme Polo GSoC enhancements
> There are a lot of good improvements in there.
>
> I am willing to help with fixing the remaining bugs if the IDLE developers
> are willing to help as well.
>
> - Roger

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow