[Idle-dev] Fixing and Improving IDLE

Sean Wolfe ether.joe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 21:58:04 CET 2011

Got it. Let me read up on idle hacking and familiarize myself with the
bug tracker and I'll get back with you.

What's idleX? Funny, I was thinking down the line of making my own
fork of idle and calling it idleXL . Haha.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Roger Serwy <roger.serwy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am glad that you are willing to help with fixing IDLE. Tkinter experience
> is not a strong prerequisite; you can contribute simply by testing patches
> already provided and giving your feedback. With more reviewers we can
> iron-out any unanticipated side-effects.
>
> I can offer what I know about IDLE's internals if you or anyone else needs
> it (while it is still fresh in my memory) .
>
> Al Sweigart's article discusses several important shortcomings of IDLE. Nick
> Coghlan created a meta-issue for it: #13504.  Some of those issues are
> actually fixed in IdleX.
>

> On 12/12/2011 01:30 PM, Sean Wolfe wrote:
>>
>> Nice to see this mail! I'm a big fan of IDLE though and it's nice to
>> see. I'm not really a IDLE developer yet but I'm boning up on tkinter
>> to try and help out in the future... maybe in time to help out with
>> this.
>>
>> Did you guys catch this article? I think so cause there are a lot of
>> comments. Anyhow, I dig a lot of the suggestions.
>>
>> http://inventwithpython.com/blog/2011/11/29/the-things-i-hate-about-idle-that-i-wish-someone-would-fix/
>>

>> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Roger Serwy<roger.serwy at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> IDLE Developers,
>>>
>>> By my count there are over 110 valid open issues against IDLE, some minor
>>> and others major. Let's try to make that number smaller.
>>>
>>> Here is a partial list of issues that have working patches:
>>>
>>> 3573    IDLE hangs when passing invalid command line args (directory(ies)
>>> instead of file(s))
>>> 5219    IDLE/Tkinter: edit win stops updating when tooltip is active
>>> 6698    IDLE no longer opens only an edit window when configured to do so
>>> 6699    IDLE: Warn user about overwriting a file that has a newer version
>>> on
>>> filesystem
>>> 7136    Idle File Menu Option Improvement
>>> 7676    IDLE shell shouldn't use TABs
>>> 8515    idle "Run Module" (F5) does not set __file__ variable
>>> 8900    IDLE crashes if Preference set to At Startup ->  Open Edit Window
>>> 13039   IDLE editor: shell-like behaviour on line starting with ">>>"
>>> 13179   IDLE uses common tkinter variables across all editor windows
>>> 13495   IDLE: Regression - Two ColorDelegator instances loaded
>>> 13506   IDLE sys.path does not contain Current Working Directory
>>>
>>> Can these patches be applied? I understand that there will be need for
>>> some
>>> discussion, but we should try to avoid the bike shed problem.
>>>
>>> Not surprisingly, there are a lot of "duplicate" bug reports. Some issues
>>> deal with invalid key bindings and should have a common solution: 4765,
>>> 5707, 6739, 11437, 12387, 13071. (IdleX already has a work-around for
>>> these
>>> issues.) Other issues deal with permission error handling of
>>> configHandler.py: 4625, 8231, 9404, 9925.
>>>
>>> One major patch which requires some updating and much consideration is:
>>> 10079   idlelib for Python 3 with Guilherme Polo GSoC enhancements
>>> There are a lot of good improvements in there.
>>>
>>> I am willing to help with fixing the remaining bugs if the IDLE
>>> developers
>>> are willing to help as well.
>>>
>>> - Roger

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.
- Abraham Maslow