[Idle-dev] IDLE going forward

Corey Richardson kb1pkl at aim.com
Wed Feb 2 23:18:41 CET 2011

On 2/2/2011 4:58 PM, Robert wrote:
> It was suggested in another Python newsgroup that IDLE has flaws. Yes,
> I know, hard to believe that software has flaws, however, out of that
> was born a desire to clean up the code cruft etc. in IDLE.
>
> Two things that came out generally were:
>
> * Update the UI (use ttk widgets etc.)
> * More tests and automate testing
> * Clean up the code
>
> What else would you like to see? I was said that Python (and IDLE) are
> going to Mercurial at some point, so maybe that would be a good time
> to start the effort.
>
> It will be a bit for me. I have some learning to do before I try and
> tackle this. I think it would be a good way for me to continue to
> learn about Python, unit testing, UI design and code refactoring.

Quite a bit of learning for me as well! Mostly it's just that I've never
done much with ttk or testing, but I'm glad to learn.

> So chime in with your suggestions!
I think that is quite the list already. After we (whoever we may be) get
that list done, we can think of other things.

> Thought: Should this just be an effort for IDLE in P3 going forward so
> that focus can be had?
Considering that all non-bugfix changes aren't being accepted for Python
2, this would be strictly Python 3.