[Idle-dev] IDLE going forward

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Thu Feb 3 05:55:24 CET 2011

In article
<AANLkTinUg1sPNhH7L39g9qwkmp=Uux_QDtrK119tK=Ks at mail.gmail.com>,
 Bruce Sherwood <Bruce_Sherwood at ncsu.edu> wrote:

> You may or not be aware that there is a "VIDLE" distributed with
> VPython (vpython.org) that incorporates many improvements made by
> David Scherer and Guilhermo Polo (during a recent Google Summer of
> Code) that are supposed to be moved into the standard Python
> distribution. In fact, Guido asked that despite the freeze, these
> changes be put into Python 2.7. But I don't know when this might
> happen.

It will start happening sometime (soon, I hope) after Python 3.2 goes
out the door, which should happen in about two weeks.  Unfortunately,
there has been a lot of last-minute firefighting in Python 3.2 IDLE,
particularly on Mac OS X 10.6 when using the new Cocoa-based version of
Tk 8.5.  It would be great to have more testing there of either the
traditional 32-bit OS X installer (from python.org) which uses either
the Apple-suppliedTk 8.4 (included with OS X 10.4 through 10.6) or
ActiveState Tk 8.4.  Or, on 10.6 only, the 64-bit/32-bit installer which
requires the latest ActiveState Tk 8.5.  There is preliminary,
pre-release info here:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.2/
http://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/

Once 3.2 is released, I plan to work on getting the VIDLE enhancements
into the next maintenance releases, 2.7.2 and 3.2.1.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org