[Idle-dev] IDLE Extension - Prompt goes missing

Tal Einat taleinat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 08:25:30 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 4:28 PM, phelix <nabble at traction.de> wrote:

> Hello!

Hi,

> I am trying to write an extension to add autocompletion for "self".

Have you tried adding this functionality to the existing AutoComplete
extension? That could save you a lot of work and would be the best way to do
it.

> It works
> fine but there is one problem I just can't figure out. Whenever I hit enter
> at the shell a couple of times the interpreter seems to be crashing. The
> extension still runs fine but the prompt is not comming back. I tried it in
> both python 2.62 and 3.2. Here is some example code, any suggestion
> welcome.
>
> [snip]

Well, your code is doing a lot of things for which I don't understand the
reasons.

The best tip I can give you is to run IDLE from the command line (on
Windows, C:\Python32\python.exe C:\Python32\Lib\idlelib\idle.py). Then you
can see output and exceptions printed to the command console. You could also
print your own debugging info using "print" instead of using that s_print
function, and it won't show up in IDLE's shell, just in the command console.

Finally, if you're going for completions in the editor, check out the Rope
package which supplies some awesome code-analysis tools.

- Tal