[Idle-dev] issue

Roger Serwy roger.serwy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 19:03:19 CET 2011

Hi Seb,

IDLE restarts the shell each time you run a script. This is the default
behavior in order to have a clean interpreter.

In terms of code design, you could try using "import YOURSCRIPT" in your
other scripts and refer to path definitions. For example:

YOURSCRIPT.py:

     path_to_files="/home/user/files/"

ANOTHERSCRIPT.py

     import YOURSCRIPT
     print(YOURSCRIPT.path_to_files)

You can also modify the source code of IDLE itself. Look in
ScriptBinding.py for "restart_shell". Commenting it out will disable
shell restarts. (If you do this, then the only way to get a shell
restart is to close the PyShell window and re-open it.) If you want to
improve IDLE, you could submit a patch for making the shell restart an
option on the Run menu.

Alternatively, if you want to keep stateful information between script
executions, try using the SubCode extension at http://idlex.sourceforge.net
and use the "Run All Subcodes" feature. This will run your script
without restarting the shell.

- Roger