[Idle-dev] Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

MusicKev kevin at kevinturnercareer.com
Sat Oct 15 01:23:51 CEST 2011

Ned Deily wrote:

> In article <32642225.post at talk.nabble.com>,
>  MusicKev <kevin at kevinturnercareer.com> wrote:
>
>> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a
>> version
>> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python
>> 2.7.
>> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?
>
> Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.
>
> --
>  Ned Deily,
>  nad at acm.org

Hi Ned,

Iidle3 from the terminal does not work. I get an error "IDLE can't import
Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk."   Same error if I just
type idle.
I can launch Python3 from the terminal.
I can launch IDLE 2.7.1 from the GUI. I am new to Linux and am a bit lost
trying to troubleshoot. It seems like an install problem or a configuration
problem but I can't figure it out.
I have Python/IDLE3 working on Mac and Windows but I need it on Linux for a
class project.

Thanks.