[Idle-dev] Configuring IDLE for Python 3.2.2 on Ubuntu

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Mon Oct 17 05:06:09 CEST 2011

In article <32655998.post at talk.nabble.com>,
 MusicKev <kevin at kevinturnercareer.com> wrote:
> Ned Deily wrote:
> > In article <32642225.post at talk.nabble.com>,
> >  MusicKev <kevin at kevinturnercareer.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have Python 2.7 and python 3.2.2 installed on my system. There is a
> >> version
> >> of IDLE installed for each version of Python but they all open Python
> >> 2.7.
> >> How can I configure IDLE to open the Python 3.2.2 version?
> >
> > Try typing 'idle3' instead of 'idle'.
> Iidle3 from the terminal does not work. I get an error "IDLE can't import
> Tkinter. Your Python may not be configured for Tk."   Same error if I just
> type idle.
> I can launch Python3 from the terminal.
> I can launch IDLE 2.7.1 from the GUI. I am new to Linux and am a bit lost
> trying to troubleshoot. It seems like an install problem or a configuration
> problem but I can't figure it out.
> I have Python/IDLE3 working on Mac and Windows but I need it on Linux for a
> class project.

Sorry, I don't have an Ubuntu system at hand to test with and I'm not
sure what release you are using.  If you've installed the idle-python3.2
package, presumably all the dependencies should have been installed.  It
also looks like Ubuntu installs the idle script as
/usr/bin/idle-python3.2.  Try that.  You might want to ask on an Ubuntu
forum.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org