[Idle-dev] Definitions in a script for the IDLE shell

Dmitry Popov dmitry.popov at hpcat.aps.anl.gov
Fri Jan 20 21:04:14 CET 2012

Dear Sirs.
I have a rather simple question about IDLE operation which is quite important for me.

If I run a script or a module as the main script using command Run Module (or F5) it looks like all the definitions of this script (variables, functions...) are available in the interactive interpreter which is active after the main script is executed. The problem is that I could not find any documentation where this is stated directly. Does anybody know clear confirmation that this is correct?

In other words the question is whether IDLE command Run Module (or F5) is equivalent to start of Python from command line using the following command: python  -i  filename.py?

This is important for me because I'm going to use many different starting definitions to work in the IDLE interactive interpreter.

Regards,
Dmitry Popov

HPCAT, Geophysical Laboratory
Carnegie Institution of Washington