[Idle-dev] The '>>> ' prompt is bad

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 22 01:50:37 CEST 2012

On 22/06/12 00:22, Roger Serwy wrote:

> I'm not suggesting an implementation of Window's CP behavior, as I find
> it too limited as well. On Linux, up/down arrows at the command prompt
> cycle through the command history.

FWIW the windows prompt does the same thing once you switch off
the "DOS compatibility" mode. There's not that much difference between a
bash prompt and a Windows prompt in functionality, just bash has more
commands available... But that's completely beside the point of how
IDLE's prompt should behave. :-)

My personal preference is the way PyShell works in the wxPython bundle.
If it weren't such a CPU hog I'd probably use PyShell as my standard
Python shell window. But I'd like to see IDLE work that way because
unlike wxPython its part of the standard download.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site