[Idle-dev] [GSoc- 2013]: UnitTest Framework and Pep8 Integration for Idle

Jayakrishnan Rajagopalasarma raajjya at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 03:41:32 CEST 2013

hi,
*I am moving on with IDLE Improvements project for GSoc 2013, from
University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, final year undergraduate. Hope I can
contribute something with the bit of my knowledge, gained from my 8 months
internship with python project for a commercial tool.*
*After struggled with python build missing issue of tkinter, (which does
not allow idle to open in development environment), resolved it with
installing tk-dev and configure, make again*.

1. Considering on unit-test framework for IDLE
thread<http://bugs.python.org/issue15392>,
here is what I got,

   - There is a need of a proper design in whether to put tests in test
   sub directory or to create idlelib/test directory and also
   the unit-tests in *unittest/test dir.*
   - Focus on non-GUI test for now.

2. I am planing to go with best practices with put tests in test/test_idle
like test/test_email.
(Seems like issue #10652 <http://bugs.python.org/issue10652> in this
message<http://bugs.python.org/issue15392#msg165889>is on a healthy
patch
review, so it would actually run with -m tes )
Hope I am on the right track, correct me if not.

3. I think the best starting point will be with a patch on

   - moving the already available test (
   http://bugs.python.org/file27613/issue16226_test.patch) into this
   directory,
   - and test for the presence of idle and skip if idle is not available.

Expecting suggestions and improvements on my thoughts.

*"Think big, Start Small, Move Fast"*

Thanks && Regards..
R. Jayakrishnan

<https://www.facebook.com/raajjya>