[Idle-dev] Missing unittest.mock in Python2 world be problem in making unitest for IDLE.

Tomoki Imai tomo832 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 02:17:59 CEST 2013

Hi.

I'm a student thinking of participating in Google Summer of Code.
And I'm looking for a guidance.
The proposal that I want to make is "Unit Test framework for IDLE".
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2013/python-core

I emailed to Todd Rovito and read idlelib for a while,read following link.
http://bugs.python.org/issue15392

Using unittest.mock seemed to be good way to test GUI.
But there is a problem.
There is no unittest.mock in Python2.
http://docs.python.org/2/library/unittest.html

I think using third party mock seemed to be ok, but not best way.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mock
Because, IDLE is a part of official python.
I think relying on third party module is not good.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks.