[Idle-dev] Idle does not open on mac

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Aug 23 07:43:12 CEST 2013

On 23 Aug, 2013, at 3:54, Andrew Svetlov <andrew.svetlov at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is a firewall issue.

I don't think it is. I have the local firewall enabled on my machine and can use IDLE just fine.  Arie could have a 3th-party firewall that blocks connections on the loopback device, but AFAIK most users don't use such tools.

> Probably the proper solution would use pipes instead of sockets.

I agree that using pipes (or even socketpair() sockets) would be cleaner than the current solution, but would that work on Windows? The current solution has the advantage of working on Linux, Windows and OSX without having separate implementations for some of the platforms.

Ronald