[Idle-dev] Google Summer of Code

Guilherme Simões gdsimoes87 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 16:30:43 CET 2013

Hi, everybody!

I am a student at the University of São Paulo where I study Pure
Mathematics and plan to graduate next year. I have experience in Python and
successfully completed MIT's 6.00x course (Introduction to Computer Science
and Programming).

I am interested in applying for Google Summer of Code this year, but
although there is some great projects at the wiki, I want to work on
something else. I think IDLE could be improved a lot with some effort
(three months of work is sufficient) and I want to try working on that as a
project. IDLE is very important in education as a first IDE for thousands
of students and it's a shame that it does not do a better job.

I wonder if the Python community has any interest in this idea and, if it
has, if someone can recommend me a mentor. I sent a similar email to
soc2013-general at python.org, but maybe this list is more appropriate for
this message.

Thanks,

Guilherme Simões