[Idle-dev] /me waves

Felix Tendler felix at traction.de
Fri Mar 22 21:07:42 CET 2013

On 22.03.2013 15:44, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>     "Up arrow moves cursor" has confused every Python developer I've put
>     IDLE in front of. It might be time to rethinking including it, or at
>     least letting us have options for the different behaviors. I would be
>     much more likely to open IDLE if it mimicked my shell more.
>

> I agree. I am probably to blame for the original behavior -- I am
> using the shell in Emacs a lot, where up arrow does what it does in
> IDLE, and you use Meta-P (I think, only my fingers know it :-)
> instead. But the shell behavior in a regular terminal window is
> probably more familiar at this point.
When I first used IDLE these two things drove me mad. Somehow I was too
lazy to change it and got used to it. Now I can not live without this
behavior.

Alt-p and alt-n for previous/next command is so much more comfy because
you do not have to move all the way to the up arrow key.

And there is a perfect use for "Up arrow moves cursor": after an error
go two (or more, depending on the level) lines up and activate "goto
file/line" via a hotkey. There is no faster way to go to the source of a
problem.

I made an idleX extension but had no luck getting it on the idleX site
so far:
http://ehc.ac/p/idlex/discussion/general/thread/b238d358/

And the moral of the story: please make any changes to the work flow
optional!

Felix