[Idle-dev] Python 3.4.0 alpha 2 available

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 10 20:48:25 CEST 2013

On 9/9/2013 5:38 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:
> IDLE is very much not improved on Windows.

Ned and Paul were talking about 3.4 Mac OS X improvements. I do not
remember there being any Windows-specific fixes since the April/May
releases. I hope there will be some before 3.4.0, 3.3.3, and 2.7.6 are
released.

 > I installed 64-bit Python 3.4 Alpha 2 on Windows 7:
> python-3.4.0a2.amd64.msi

Ditto. It works fine for me, so there is something different about your
system. I routinely run Idle from the current repository to make sure it
is working and to get the benefit of the latest patches.

> I started up IDLE and examined the IDLE configuration options. I set and
> applied Startup Preferences to Open Shell Window and Autosave
> Preferences to No Prompt.

My configuration was already set that way. I thought [x] Open Shell is
default, but maybe not. I know [x] No Prompt is not default, but I set
that long ago and it carried over.

 > There were no detailed options for Run options
> introduced by Guilleherme Polo (If file has never been saved, Prompt to
> Save or No prompt; If file has been saved before Prompt to Save or no
> prompt; On first error Bring shell forward or Do nothing).

I do not know what this is about. I presume you are talking about a
proposed patch that has not been applied here. I do not remember seeing
it. I looked for an issue but could not find one.

> I created a new edit window and wrote a tiny test program and tried to
> run by pressing F5. As expected but not desired, I was required to save
> the file, which I did.

I gather that you are saying that the NoPrompt configuration change does
not take effect immediately, but you wish it did. I agree that this
would be good.

> The IDLE window immediately quit. If I restart
> IDLE I now start in an edit window, but when I try to open a file IDLE
> immediately quits.

To see and report a traceback, start Idle in a console window with
'python -m idlelib' or in a console interpreter with 'import idlelib.idle'.

--
Terry Jan Reedy