[Idle-dev] Autosaving 'Untitled' on Run

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Sep 17 19:27:21 CEST 2013

<retitled and reorganized>

On 9/16/2013 4:52 PM, Bruce Sherwood wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>     Perhaps we should make the current option ternary.
>     "When running code from an editor window, prompt to save
>     [] any unsaved  [] 'Untitled' only  [] never"
>
>     'Untitled only' appears to be what the current 'no prompt' actually
>     means. 'Never' would be the new option, as it would actually mean
>     'never'. (I would use this for short throwaway code ;-). Untitled
>     files would be saved somewhere (to be decided). The saved file could
>     be listed in Recent files so it can be retrieved in the next
>     session. (After a crash or freeze, for instance.) 'New window' would
>     still bring up a blank window. Running a new window would over-write
>     any saved Untitled window.

 > Thanks! Your ternary proposal sounds great, and better than what is
 > currently in VIDLE.

http://bugs.python.org/issue19042
The last important piece of the 'puzzle' was to decide on the location
of the scratch file. I initially thought of idlelib/, but that did not
seem right. It might not even be writeable. (I believe Lib/* can be a
zip file, for instance.) The user .idlerc/ directory should work fine.

--
Terry Jan Reedy