[Idle-dev] The Future of Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Feb 11 15:06:21 CET 2014

> You've convinced me that brython is interesting. I still think it would
> require a miracle for it to become mainstream, but it has a better
> change than pythonb.org <http://pythonb.org>. :-)

The Brython author posted to python-list for 'feedback' about a year or
so ago, when Brython was in the 0.n (.8?) stage. *As I remember*, there
were two problems, as least then, from a strict pythonista view.

1. It was (then, at least) intentionally not the same as Python.
Moreover, the added syntax was distinctly not pythonic. As I remember,
the non-Python syntax was not optional and ignorable, like Cython type
hints, but pretty much required for interacting with the browser.

2. It was based on Py2 and its text model. To many of us, this seemed
like a mistake for plugging in to unicode-based browsers and translation
to a unicode-based javascript. Python 3's text=unicode model seems like
a much better fit.

The author did not seem interested in suggestions for changing these
design decisions.

--
Terry Jan Reedy