[Idle-dev] KeyConfig, KeyBinding and other related issues.

Saimadhav Heblikar saimadhavheblikar at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 13:35:02 CEST 2014

On 12 June 2014 02:50, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> After writing this, I discovered that ConfigHandler.IdleConf.GetCurrentKeySet adjusts definitions on 'Darwin' by changing 'Alt' to 'Option'. On Windows and Linux, instead of replacing, uppercased key definitions could be added, as appropriate.
> ---

I tried that in http://bugs.python.org/issue12387#msg220338. Let me
know if that is OK. IIUC, next step would be to revert the changes
made in Windows key set
(http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/25fd9aeeff91/).

AFA tests are concerned to validate the key defs in config-keys.def, I
have started writing something as below:
Tokenize the key sequence by splitting on '-'(as in Control-Key-r).
and do the following:

1. ascertain the tokens follow correct order
I will try various combinations in the existing key def and make a
note of those orderings, which raise an error. Then ensure those
orderings should fail during testing

2. In alphabet keybindings(Prefix-Key-x),(x is any alphabet) is it
necessary that x be the lower case? If yes, this is something which
can be tested.

3. Test simple scenarios like incomplete keybinding like missing '>' at the end.

The above tests will go into test_keys in
test_configuration.py(http://bugs.python.org/issue21696).

We can also run the above 3 tests on extension keybindings in
config-extensions.def.

> Disabling ^shift-alpha would be new issue. It might break current habits and should probably be rejected on that basis. In the absence of users claiming that they are confused, it would be a waste of time.

Means, we wont go ahead and fix the "bug" from my example? (Just for
clarification.)

On 12 June 2014 03:16, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> Q2. Do all of you read Idle-dev or should I continue responding to emails direct to all?

I am subscribed to idle-dev list.

I will reply to other part of your(Terry Reedy) and Tal Einat's mail next.